I'm not suggesting that anyone should be subject to any kind of dictatorship.  I
explicitly said that we ought to be guided by our own ideas (we can't have any others,
after all) in evaluating our experiments.  If we try gut bass strings and they don't
work, we will have to use something else - but at the same time we might wonder why
they don't work and try to find some that *do* work.

> > >   Of course the most important thing is the music,!
> >
> > I agree, but learning to reproduce old masters, fascinating as that may
> > be, is only a small part of learning how to play the lute.
The painting analogy is only useful up to a point.  A musician has to create something
new each time, basing the creation on a set of (imperfect and incomplete) instructions
- the score.  Dowland's tablature will not teach anyone to play the lute, any more
than having exactly the right lute and exactly the right strings will guarantee a good
performance.  But that doesn't mean that we should not study such information as the
score does provide (ornament signs, for example).  We may still choose to ignore some
of this information, of course (still no dictatorship here).

> > > ...we wouldn't be doing what we're doing if we didn't believe that the
> > > technology which makes the music possible wasn't inportant too
> > > otherwise we'd all be playing it on the electric guitar...
> >
> > I dont know about electric guitar, but a lot of orchestras, bands,
> > brass ensembles and soloists of all types and from all imaginable
> > backgrounds, do play early music on modern instruments.  We lutenists
> > are not the only ones making music with this old repertoire.  Are you
> > going to say all the rest of the world is wrong?  If you are, then I
> > would have to suggest that you do so because it suits your, uh, I hate
> > that word "predjudices," let's say your likes and dislikes.
Again, I'm not saying what people should and should not do.  Personally I am quite
happy for people to play lute music on any instrument which comes to hand (including
the electric guitar), but that doesn't preclude me from being intensely interested in
historical information about what lutes may have been like in the past.  I just noted
that, as an observer of the modern revival of the lute, some "unhistorical" things
have been discarded (metal frets, single second course) while others (wound strings)
still remain.  The double first course was common in the past but is almost unheard of
today, so I was merely encouraging others to try it.  Incidentally I don't own a lute
with a double first and have never played on one in public - but I have tried it, and
I may try it more seriously next time.  When building lutes, I have found that the
closer I get to the historical models, the better they sound, so I have some faith
that the old guys knew what they were doing, and histori!
cal research is not in vain.

Sorry, no flames, David - thanks for your input.

Martin