Dan'l,

An amateur adds a bit to Martin's message. The pitch of the string is a
matter of the vibrating length (as we all know). But the stretch on the
string, and overall tension, is a matter of the length from tuning peg to
bridge. Even if the passage over the nut is smooth (and I won't use any of
the barnyard metaphors) you are yet dealing with a longer string when you
add the distance from nut to peg, so on a percentage basis it takes a bit
more arc on the peg for the strings further as to "peg to nut". I think
someone mentioned the "quantum jump on the wound strings", one way to
minimize it (again lads, I'm new but have been dealing with strings for
years) is to press your finger on the segment between peg and nut and give
it a little "goose". That can pull the next "pop" of the winding through and
leave you able to tune better.

And on general principal it is easier to "tune up" than to tune down. That
applies with the zither pins on folk harps, the full through pins on
orchestral harps, the mechanical pegs on guitars and other instruments - so
I assume it applies to the friction pegs on the lute. Drop the pitch a good
few cents (five or ten) then bring it up. Small movements are difficult even
when there are mechanics involved, so on the direct pegged lute they must be
more so. Do stretch the string between peg and nut with a small push, since
you are normally tuning up to pitch that pulls up the VL a bit and lets you
take in the slack in the dead section. And is definitely a help with the
wound bass strings, although the other answers as to lubrication are quite
correct.

Best, Jon