Wow, what a discussion.

Let us first define the "Church". And we'll only look at the Christian
church as we are speaking of Europe. The "Church" in medieval times (and the
Dark Ages, if you want to seperate them, I don't) was the Roman Church. But
this was a relatively late development in that first millenium A.D. I'll not
put dates into this, partly because my aging memory is losing them and I
don't feel like looking in my bookshelves - but mainly as everything
develops over a period of time and specific dates are irrelevant when
looking at the "known world".

We can start at the back end of the messages, just for fun. Henry VIII
wasn't a protestant, although his church is called protestant. Martin Luther
was a protester, as were others. Henry just got pissed at Rome, but his
doctrine retained the Trinity and much of the rest of the Church doctrine.
Martin Luther and John Wesley took a new, and old, view.

In the first century A.D. there was a conflict among the Christians - the
Pauls and the Peters (and the James's) - as to whether to worship Jesus as
Messiah of the Jews or Lord of all man (yes, overly simplified). Paul wanted
to go to the Gentiles as well as the Jews, Peter took a middle ground, and
James wanted the worship to remain within the confines of Jewish law. Not
overly relevant today, but it meant a lot to them. When St. Patrick brought
Christianity to Ireland is wasn't the Church of Rome, which really didn't
exist as such at the time, it was the more general teachings of Jesus.
Constantine's conversion was a defining moment for the church in that it
made the remains of the Empire Christian, but not a controlling matter for
the believers. I would hesitate to say when the Pope of Rome became arbiter
of the Church, but I'd guess that Pope Gregory would be a good guess. Many
of the Frankish tribes had converted by then, but like the other Christians
of the north they were yet secular for their worldly matters.

Probably the coronation of Otto may have been the change. The Merovingian
dynasty of converted Franks became the Carolingians of the Holy Roman
Empire. What had been lost at arms was regained in the sacristy. But yet
there were the other Christian sects, and this went on for hundreds of
years. The Albigensians were probably decendents of the Visigoths who had
become Roman in loyalty, but had their own Christian church. And if you read
Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose (a pleasant conciept) you see the Irish
church at the time of the papacy of Avignon as a haven for the books being
burned by the heirarchy of that same church of patronage and indulgences
that Martin Luther resisted, and against which he posted his proclamations.

Wow, I'm really in trouble. I've offended everyone and I haven't even made a
coherent thesis. But there is a way to get back to music yet. The Church,
and the protestant churches, all had an influence on the music of their
times. The English, French, German and Scottish Psalters were a revival of
plainsong, but also a form of harmony. The rule was that every word sung in
church must come directly from the Scriptures. A musical rebellion against
the formal and embellished worship of the Roman Church (and I don't say
Catholic, as the Anglican and several Eastern Orthodox chuches consider
themselves to be catholic also).

Its a long thread, and I haven't read it all - but I've tried to read a good
sampling. The Renaissance is defined as the era of "re-learning", not of
"learning". A rebirth of the ancient arts (and the implication is that they
were suppressed by the Church). The printing press (as someone said) brought
the vernacular bible to the people - although the writer who mentioned the
death penalty for possession was too limited, the same applied in England.

Enough, it is an age I study, and nothing I can say in this long letter (but
brief history) can satisfy all. Suffice to say that I am either atheist or
agnostic, depending on the definition, but both enjoy and understand the
history of the church and the Church in defining Western culture, and in
that way defining Western music. But I'd love to fine some early ballads of
the "melody lute" and some words from the balladeers.

Best, Jon