On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Vance Wood wrote:
> It took the invention of the printing press to change all of this ...
> ... the corruption of that institution begin to be known by an
> increasingly educated population.

I question whether printing and education were important in producing
general knowledge of Church corruption.

For example, consider a modern high school, where the injustices and
failures of the faculty are well known to the students, without benefit of
printed communication on the subject.  And where less academic students,
in general, keep up with such gossip better than serious students.

I suspect that, rather, printing and education raised a spirit of humanism
which was less tolerant of Church excess than the earlier rustic
parochialism.