Hello Vance,

pear for pegs is a little bit too soft. I don't use this.
The best wood for pegs is boxwood, followed by Plumwood which I use very often
and Olive wood. Besides stability this looks very nice. Furthermore I used another
wood, but I could not find the translation. Probably someone in this list knows the
name. It is called "Goldregen". It is a ornamental tree in the garden. It flowers
yellow
and theese are very poisonous.

Regards

Matthias

> Hi Herbert:  It depends on the material of both the peg and the peg box.
> Material for the guts of the peg box should be Beech, it is hard, light
> weight, and stable.  The preferred material for the pegs is Pear or other
> fruit woods.  This wood is dense, strong, stable and not particularly prone
> to extremes of expansion and contraction with the weather and humidity.
> However, many Lutes are made with solid Ebony pegs.  Ebony is a very
> abrasive wood in that it will actually wear away the interior of the peg
> holes making them bigger. If you think you are having problems with pegs
> slipping, detach the string and dust the peghole with a little chalk, this
> should help.
>
> Vance Wood.

Matthias Wagner, Lute making
string distribution:Savarez, Aquila, Kürschner, Pyramid, Pirastro
Klemmbachstr. 11 a
D - 79410 Badenweiler - Schweighof
Tel. +49-7632 - 82 86 95,  Fax: +49-7632  82 898 68
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lutes-strings.de
http://www.music-strings.de ( strings - shop )