Roman,

OSHA is not very good at what they do. I await the study (probably from
Canada) that says that too much oxygen is toxic in rats. A toxin is
specifically a poison, as in snake venom. Then there are the substances that
are poisonous yet may be useful in low doses for certain conditions, such as
digitalis. Everything else can be toxic depending on the dosage. I am always
amused when carbon monoxide is referred to as a poisonous gas, it is not
poisonous as cyanide gas is. It is toxic as it is readily absorbed by the
red blood cells and blocks the absorption of oxygen. So in high
concentrations it is toxic (fatal), but not of itself poisonous.

One of the two forms of asbestos (the one with sharp edges) is carcinogenic,
when breathed for years. OSHA requires that any building being renovated
that has asbestos insulation must be isolated. How often have I seen six
story buildings in NYC with a plastic shroud over the whole building (at
tremendous cost) as they are being renovated and a bit of asbestos might get
into the air. By the time the fibers are out in the street the
concentrations are such that there is no danger. It takes years of breathing
the stuff to gain a concentration that is carcinogenic.

A toxin is a poison, and even small amounts have an immediate effect. An
excess of any substance, no matter how benign may be toxic in the long haul.
OSHA seems to have the view that anything that may be toxic in excess is
therefore a toxin.

Best, Jon