Ed Durbrow, INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

>Jason:
> >This report seems to come from a letter written about Milano.   I read a

>reference to this some time ago, the source now escapes me.  I recall they

>were something like silver thimbles.  I know of no one who has
experimented
>with this concept, I really cannot understand why anyone would want to.

>>>I hope Arthur Ness, or someone else who knows well about this source,
will chime in. I think >>>there were two sources for this, in fact. I  also
have in my mind, I don't know how, that there were >>>possibly  little
plectrums coming out of the silver thimbles. (???)

>>>Last summer, I had the good fortune to study a bit with Crawford  Young
and learned that a guitar >>>string can make a good plectrum. (He  simply
used a guitar string so that he wouldn't wear out >>>his ostrich  feathers)
The point of that statement is that plectrums don't have to  be flat.
Feathers, >>>when turned the opposite way that you would  normally think of
them being used -the thin end on >>>the string,  stripped of the feather
part, are surprisingly like a nylon guitar  string in thickness and
>>>stiffness. This roundness has a unique  advantage in that you can attack
a string from nearly any >>>angle. I  could envision a thimble with a bit
of feather stem coming out of the  middle of the tip. >>>Think about doing
didillo strokes with that!

>>>The fact that there is a possibility that Milano used thimbles would  be
reason enough to try them >>>IMHO. Who knows what we could learn?

>>>cheers, --  Ed Durbrow Saitama, Japan
http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/==========================================
===

Dear Ed,

Yes, Francesco's use of finger picks has been known since the 1980s when
Jesse Ann Owens discovered a letter dated 1524 from a Ferrarese diplomatic
in Rome The writer described a performance by Francesco. He is said to have
played with two silver thimbles on the inside of which were quills.  It
does not say on which fingers they were attached.  The sound was said to
resembl;e a harpsichord.  It would seem that the sound of the plectrum lute
was being preserved by use of these finger picks.  (And plectrum playing
continued into the 16th century, perhaps especially for lute ensembles.)

Other lutenists were known to use such finger picks (for wire-strung
onstruments?), and some are listed in inventories of musical instruments
and called "Lute Nails."  I wonder if any have survived. And what did a
thimble look like in 16th-century Italy?

And Ed, do you know what CDs Crtawford Young has issued?  I just have one
of his CDs titled "Intabulations."  Also I heard that he was doing a
facsimile of the Pesaro Manuscript.  Do you know if it has been published?
It contains some plectrum polyphony (yes), as well as other plectrum
pieces.

By the way Jessie has published a fascinating book _Composers at Work: The
Craft of Musical Composition, 1450-1600_ (OUP, 1997). It includes some
remarks about how the lute was sometimes used as a means for composing.
That is, Palestrina may have composed "at the lute," and he even previewed
the mass for a patron by playing it on the lute.  She also tracked down
some pieces if lute music that may be compositional sketches.  There is not
too much material like that because it is thought composers first wrote a
piece oin a wax slate, and then when the composition was complete, ink it
into a manuscript (or intabulate it?).

arthur
<>