Dear Roman,

Yes, it was. Thanks for passing it on.

Stewart.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roman Turovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LUTE-LIST" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:32 PM
Subject: Re: Lutesong in A?

> I think this was meant for the list.
> ______________
> Roman M. Turovsky

> > From: "Stewart McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear Roman,

You're absolutely right, of course. Modulation and accidentals
complicate things.

1) Chromatic notes

If the accidentals are just a few chromatic ones, which add colour
to the harmony [origin of chromatic in this sense], but don't really
cause a modulation, you use syllables with slight alterations in
them, like Fe for F# instead of Fah (F natural), and Taw for B flat
instead of Te (B natural).

2) Modulation

If the music moves to a new key, and stays there for a while, you
re-base your Doh to the new key. So if you start in C major, and
then modulate to G major, you sing Doh for the note G instead of
Soh.

-o-O-o-

Learning to sing sol-fa has gone out of fashion in English schools,
although it was very much the done thing fifty or more years ago.
The above information about accidentals comes from an old
school-book I have at home: Helen V. S. Roberts,_Music-Work in the
School_ (Cambridge: W. Heffer & Sons Ltd, n.d.). The original owner,
Helen Sandys, has put the date 1943 under her name. She was Head of
Music at Nottingham Girls' High School, and she bequeathed her books
to the School when she died. The present Head of Music kept some of
her books, but threw away all those he felt he didn't need. I
rescued some of them, including old-fashioned text-books like the
one above, from various school litter bins. I also rescued about 100
popular songs - sheet music from c. 1890-1920, which were part of
her collection, and which were lying beside a bin outside in the
rain.

On a separate note, I would be very interested to know if tonic
sol-fa is taught in schools in other countries.

Best wishes,

Stewart.