Dear Jon,

I had wanted to keep Guido d'Arezzo out of it, because, although
Curwen's tonic sol-fa grew from his system, it is really quite
different in a number of ways. For example, Guido's scale was a
6-note hexachord; Curwen's was an 8-note octave. (Please forgive the
tautology.) Guido's hand shows the sol-fa syllables on the finger
joints, whereas Curwen's hand signals are quite different.

The syllable Ti or Te for the 7th degree of the scale was originally
"Si" standing for Sancte Iohannes (Saint John).

The old hexachord system was based on three overlapping 6-note
scales or hexachords. By the 17th century people often simplified it
to just two hexachords, which were enough to straddle an octave. It
would seem that shaped note singing evolved from this simplified
system. A quick search with Google for "Shaped notes" will throw up
any number of websites, including this one

http://www.smithcreekmusic.com/Hymnology/American.Hymnody/ShapedNote
/ShapedNote.hymnody.html

which seems to explain everything very well. For those unfamiliar
with shaped notes, it is a notational system which was created by
William Little and William Smith in 1802 in America.
They gave a special shape to four notes of the scale. Three of these
were repeated to make up the octave:

Fa = right-angled triangle, with the right-angle top-right;
Sol = oval, with the fat "sides" at the bottom and top;
La = a rectangle, with the fat sides at the bottom and top;
Mi = a diamond.

After about 1850 other shapes were added, so that there was a
different shape for each of the seven different notes within an
octave. According to the website I mentioned, the 4-shape system and
the 7-shape system are still in use today.

Best wishes,

Stewart.