Ah..I see the misunderstanding.

    So when Bach specified lute in the St. John Passion, he meant...

    ...and I guess we should say solo lute when that's what we mean.

..and bach's 'cell suites weren't written for guitar? Turns out that at
least one of them wasn't written for 'cello either.

> From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:46:05 -0800 (PST)
> To: Joe Mayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, James A Stimson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Non-lute composers poll.
>
> Bach's lute works are debatable - we don't really know
> if he actually intended them to be lute or keyboard
> pieces.  (It might be a little known fact to most
> guitarists, but the cello suites were NOT originally
> written for the modern classical guitar :-))  This
> being said, I'm not against lutenists playing them,
> and its unlikely that Bach would have objected either.
> I'm not aware of any solo lute music coming from
> Purcell or Monteverdi.  I don't think the fact that
> these composer's continuo parts where realized on lute
> or theorbo qualifies them as "lute composers."
>

> CW
> --- Joe Mayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am having a bit of trouble with the "non-lute"
>> part of the poll. Does this
>> mean, "didn't compose for the lute?"
>>
>>     If so, then why are Bach, Purcell, and
>> Montiverdi on the list? One may
>> as well include Dowland.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>> Joseph mayes
>>
>>> From: James A Stimson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:27:46 -0500
>>> To: Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> Subject: Re: Non-lute composers poll.
>>>

>>> Dear Herb: Don't quite understand the Ravel thing,
>> but why not? I'll keep
>>> mine to five:
>>> 1. Bach
>>> 2. Beethoven
>>> 3. Mozart
>>> 4. Monteverdi
>>> 5. D. Scarlatti
>>> Yours,
>>> Jim
>>>

>>>                     Herbert Ward
>>>                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
>>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>                     exas.edu>                cc:
>>>
>> Subject:  Non-lute composers
>>> poll.
>>>                     03/31/2004 12:48
>>>                     PM
>>>

>>> Which non-lute post-Renaissance composers do we
>> lutenists most respect?
>>> List your 6 favorite, in descending order.
>>>
>>> I will count the results.  Please put a number
>> before each name, as below.
>>>
>>> My vote is:
>>> 1. Beethoven
>>> 2. Tchaikovsky
>>> 3. Mozart
>>> 4. Ravel
>>> 5. Bach
>>> 6. Wagner
>>>
>>> Below is a list of widely respected composers.
>>>
>>> Herb

>>> Beethoven
>>> Bach
>>> Mozart