Dear Manolo:
 I've read "Music as Speech" as well as Harnoncourt's other book, on Bach,
Monteverdi and Mozart. I found his ideas intriguing and thought-provoking.
I think the books are generally available in the U.S.
How widely they are read is another question....
Yours,
Jim

                      Manolo Laguillo

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       LUTELIST <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      ta.net>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  Rumania and Harnoncourt

                      04/05/2004 08:43

                      AM

Dear listmembers,

In two weeks I will be in Rumania, ten days travelling from Bucarest to
Constanza. Does somebody in this list know if there is something
lute-related in Rumania worth the visit ?

I'm just finishing the book by N. Harnoncourt "Musik als Klangrede"
("Music as speech" in english, or something like that). I find it very
interesting, and worth reading it.

His theory of "music as language in the prerevolutionary era vs. music
as painting in the postrevolutionary era" could be debatable, but is
without doubt intelligent.

How much it is known in english speaking countries? How was the
reception it received when published?

Saludos,

Manolo Laguillo
Barcelona