In a message dated 4/11/04 4:04:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> i had always assumed that double frets were a no-no.  what's the
> advantage of having them?

Bill:

On the contrary, and as Sean has pointed out, there are many examples in art
iconography already starting in the 14th C.  One of the last examples I know
of is the 1649 depiction of a theorbo player by Laurent de la Hyre in the
Metropolitan Museum of Art:
http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1zoom.asp?dep=11&zoom=0&full=1&mark=1&item=50%2E189
 (this image is too small to reproduce
the double frets, but I have studied the painting many times during visits to
the museum).  Double frets are also described in several instruction books.

Double frets give a sort of flatter "platform" upon which to depress the
strings.  Not only do they feel very secure for the left hand fingering, they also
last quite long.  I had a set of double frets on one of my most-used lutes
for over a decade before they needed replacing!

Kenneth Be
Cleveland, Ohio