My thanks to both Stewart Craig and to Thomas Schall for responding to =
my inquiry. Stewart and Thomas, I am wondering whether you two agree on =
the proper way to roll a chord, though you both seem to agree that the =
use of such rolls should be very sparing. Stewart, you wrote:

"The important thing is to start rolling on the beat, not before it. The =
bass note should fall on the beat with the other notes following. =
Unfortunately lots of players roll in such a way that the treble note =
falls on the beat, which means they have to start rolling before the =
beat."

If I understand you correctly, there are no exceptions to beginning the =
roll on the beat. Thomas, you wrote:

"Another question is which note to play on the beat. If you play a =
melody, most times the melody note should be on the beat. In an =
accompaniment, the bass note (or the most significant tone) should make =
it on the beat."=20

It seems that you, Thomas, are recognizing two distinct cases--one in =
which the high note of the chord forms part of the melody line and =
another in which it does not, which determines which note is to be =
played on the beat.=20

So, I am wondering whether you two really disagree or whether the =
disagreement is not real but merely apparent.

Actually, I started thinking about this issue when I was listening to a =
CD entitled "The Art of the Lute in Renaissance France. Volume 1: Early =
to Mid 16th Century" performed by Edward Martin to accompany the Lyre =
tablature publication by the same title. Edward, in the brief time that =
I have been a member of this e-mail group, I have noticed that you have =
contributed to the discussions. I have greatly enjoyed your playing on =
this CD and have listened to it repeatedly, paying particular attention =
to your style. It seems to me that you make a fairly liberal use of =
rolled chords on this CD, and I would be very interested in any comments =
you might have about your use of them.

Best regards to all,

Stephen Arndt

P. S. an Thomas: Ich m=F6chte diese Gelegenheit nehmen, Ihnen zu sagen, =
wie viel Ihre Internetseite mir gefallen hat-besonders die Fotos, die =
Tonaufnahmen und, vor allem, die Tablaturen, einige von welchen w=E4ren =
anderswo nicht so leicht zu finden. Vielen Dank f=FCr die gute Arbeit!