Hi Stephan,

thanks for your compliments. You are speaking german very well!

I think Stewart (McCoy by the way) and I would agree. I guess he was
thinking in terms of continuo where the "important" note would always be
the bass. There is no problem with rolling a chord for instance to
spread the duration of the hearable sound ("booooooooom dadeldum" or
something similar). This are liberties you have in forming your continup
part. But the bass notes need to come together in the comlete continuo
section (otherwise the listener would hear a bass voice sounding rather
like a machine gun "tacktacktack"). This of course applies for baroque
continuo in general.
In the baroque solo music as Ed pointed out there were much more
liberties which (I have to admit) lead in my case to use much more
rolling in renaissance music, too.
Actually this isn't wrong if you bear in mind that it's a grace. You can
use graces often or seldom - as you wish and as the music suggests.

I attended a masterclass by Dolores a while ago and she stressed much
the use of arpeggios (she meant rolling) especially as grace. She
suggested to use it in the slow vihuela pieces I was introducing as well
as in Toccatas by Kapsberger (here one may listen to Hoppy's recording -
he took very much liberties when performing these pieces).
I also would like to forward her opinion one should listen to the vocal
models before working on an intabulation - the example of the "Cancion"
by Narvaez and the vocal model lead to a different approach (thinking in
double time, the runs rather graces than "important" notes).

A different discussion is BTW the term "in time". One of my teachers
told me there would be "notes more on the right side of a bar and others
to be more on the left side" meaning not every note should be played
exactly as it's position in a bar would suggest. One example would be a
"Wiener Walzer" which is played dotted but written straight.

Best wishes
Thomas

--
Thomas Schall