Dear Tony,

Many thanks for checking my translation of Moulinié's "Cessez amants
de servir Angelique".

What I find interesting is the rubric (for want of a word) which
shows the pitch relationship between the voice and the lute. There
are many lute songs where the singer's part is written in an
easy-to-read key (one flat or no flat in the key signature), and the
singer needs to sing to the pitch of the lute, whatever that pitch
may be. There are various ways of showing what the pitch
relationship is, all (as far as I can think) expressing the singer's
first note in terms of the lute. Bossinensis (1509 and 1511) puts it
into words, e.g. "La voce del sopra al terzo tasto di la sottana",
which means "The voice [singing] the top part [starts] at the third
fret of the second course."

Early 16th-century songs like those published by Bossinensis are
essentially polyphonic (even if Bossinensis has played around with
the polyphony to suit the lute), and so they don't really work sung
down an octave by a tenor. I believe that they have to be sung at
the written pitch (allowing for transposition to match the pitch of
the lute). In other words, these songs should be sung by a high
voice: by a woman, or by a man singing countenor.

For lute songs from the end of the 16th century onwards, the texture
tends to be less polyphonic. The lute may sometimes suggest
polyphony, but its role is more in the manner of providing chords to
support the singer. In England, the lute accompaniments of composers
like Campion, Coprario, and Ferrabosco II are more in the nature of
continuo realisations than strict intabulations of a polyphonic
original. Even with Dowland, where the lute accompaniment is often a
good deal more than mere chord filling, the emphasis is still on a
solo voice accompanied by an instrument, not a polyphonic song where
the lute acts as a substitute for the lowest voices.

These later songs work well with the voice part sung down an octave
by a tenor, especially if the bass line is re-inforced by a bass
viol, as was so often the case in England. Transposing voice parts
were less common in England than on the Continent, but they did
exist here. They were very common with the early 17th-century French
airs de cour. In England and France they preferred to show the
singer's first note in tablature before the start of the lute
accompaniment.

It is clear from this initial note at which octave the song should
ideally be sung. An example I think I may have mentioned before on
this list is Robert Hales' "O eyes leave off your weeping". In the
Turpyn Book of Lute Songs the song is in D minor, and the singer's
first note (d") followed by the first note of the lute accompaniment
looks like this:

_h_________
________d__
________a__
___________
________c__
___________

In Robert Dowland's _A Musicall Banquet_ (London, 1610) the song is
in C minor. The singer's part is written at the same pitch as it is
in the Turpyn manuscript, but it should be sung in C minor, and the
singer transposes down a tone. (Should anyone think that Robert
Dowland had a lute in a' in mind instead of a standard mean lute in
g', they need only look at the separate bass part, which is in C
minor. It has to be a lute in g'.) Here are the singer's first note
and the first chord of the lute accompaniment, as Dowland printed
it:

________a__
_|_a_|__b__
________d__
___________
________a__
___________

In other words, the scribe of the Turpyn manuscript had a soprano in
mind, whereas Robert Dowland envisaged a tenor. Turpyn and Dowland
consistently stay at their respective octaves for other songs in
their books, Turpyn always opting for a soprano, and Dowland for a
tenor.

Bearing all this in mind, I found it interesting that the singer's
first note in Moulinié's "Cessez amants de servir Angelique" is
given at tenor pitch. I hadn't given a thought to the sentiments of
the song, so I am grateful to you for pointing out that the words of
"Cessez amants" should be sung by a man. It confirms the conclusion
I had reached by considering the singer's tablature cue.

Best wishes,

Stewart.