This is indeed one area where software developers have to struggle -
Historically, it seems to me that the value of the beat got shorter and
shorter, and there are some reasons why grand staff transcriptions may
chose to halve the original values: it is easier for instance to show the
different voices in 8th notes than quarter notes, because 8th notes can be
tied. Since both systems of representation have pros and cons, it makes
sense for the software to try and support both the original representation
and the tweaked modern approach. this is not easy because two quarter notes
and two tied 8th notes are very different things. Also, printers of the
period faced some technical and graphical problems just the same as we do
today - or worse. So manuscripts may be different from printed works. There
are also sometimes geographically based preferences for some system over
another. Finally, software users who do send feedback tend to have a
significant impact in terms of preferences, particularly if their request
makes sense and can be converted into code in a fairly straightforward way.
An example of a problem I faced is this: if as Stewart says a minim is
represented by a stem with a single  tail, then a stem with 2 tails is a
quarter note. These in modern notation would not be tie-able, but I am
pretty sure that in some manuscripts they are... Then, if you decide they
are tied, how many horizontal dashes should they have:  0 because they are
quarter notes, 1 because they are the first level of tied notes, or two to
match the tails on the stand-alone flag?
We could have historical models - like the Lachrimae - to help resolve some
of those issues, but if I recall, the viols parts are unbarred. And even if
one publication of the time gave some firm evidence, that evidence could be
disproved in some other publication of the time... All the while I am
writing this I also think about ornament systems that are even worse from
those points of view...
Django does offer the option to equate one flag tail with a minim
(half-note), but it is not the "default" mode - the main reason being I
think that our modern mind has got used to the shorter beat value and a
maximum of tied notes.
There is no manual of "software development for historical music notation"
- and this is the exciting part for all of us: users can still directly
communicate and influence the direction of the development of those new
tools and take a very active part indeed. From the point of view of
software, things have evolved at a mind boggling pace in the past ten
years: we are living a truly unique period in time, with extraordinary
potential. A lot of flexibility has been added to my own software in the
past few years, and the main challenge that I see now is that of
articulating the complexity that underlies that new flexibility with a
fairly simple interface for the user, so they can chose easily what fits
their needs best.
I'll be happy to make the one tail equal minim the default value if there
is a consensus on that point - in the meantime it is at least available as
an option. Sorry if I made it sound unnecessarily complicated -
Alain