Dear Stewart,
I'm sure that you are right about this. Just a couple of  ideas that
occurred
to me from my own study of Dalza & Petrucci:

We can't be sure of what Dalza's manuscript looked like, so what
we see in the book is Petrucci's setting of the music, following
conventions already established in his earlier publications.
As Petrucci was the first printer to produce lute
tablature (leaving aside the question of whether Marco Dall'Aquila
did print any tablature!) he seems to have had a reasonably free
hand to design what he thought was necessary. So he could have
easily designed another sign for a breve if it had been needed
(or if it had been in use in manuscripts at the time).

It's interesting to look at Petrucci's use of the fermata in the Bossinensis
books: there is usually a fermata sign over both the last chord of the
lute tablature and the last note of the vocal part. Quite often the
final note of the mensural part is a breve, but there are quite a few
digressions. Sometimes there are several chords or notes in the
last bar of the tablature, and there is still a fermata over the last chord.
The overriding impression from this too is very much that the fermata
is not a fixed unit of time.

Best wishes,

Denys

PS - I too would very much like to see a definitive translation of
the Petrucci "regula" - although I gather it's not so easy even for
Italians! I met an Italian guitarist last year and asked him if he could
translate the introduction from Casteliono's book for me and he
seemed to find it very difficult. Much harder, apparently, than
we in the UK find Dowland's English. I would be glad to hear,
though, if that's not true for Italian speaking members of the list.