Once, I happened to be in Heidelberg on Nov 10 when famous Klezmer
musician Giora Feidman attended the memorial service. He stood up and
took his clarinet. I think I expected him to play some mournful Klezmer
niggun, however, he sounded it three times like a shofar, and that was
it. That was all this Jewish musician had to say, and it was enough to
understand.

A few years later, I attended a memorial recital in a church on the eve
of Reichsprogromnacht. They had some movements from Couperin's Lecons de
tenebre, interrupted by selected Auschwitz Kinderlieder. The point was
that glaring contrast of absolutely beautiful music and words of
unspeakable horror. (BTW, the singer omitted Couperin's traditional
anti-Judaic refrain, Jerusalem convertere ad Dominum.)

I feel that in our country you simply cannot (or, rather, I cannot) hold
memorial services (I take it that there will be clerics) on that day
without bearing on Jewish suffering. You cannot simply decorate a
meeting. Perhaps e. g. Newsidler's der Juden tanz (played very, very
slowly) will be in place better than other rather unrelated pieces of
music.

--
Best,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/
Germany, T/F +49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Gesucht: Das Beste für die Stadt"
Ökumenischer Stadtkirchentag vom 19. bis 26. September 2004 in Bremen !

http://www.stadtkirchentag-bremen.de