  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 8:13 AM
  Subject: Re: Imitations

  Hi Vance,

  Thanks for your remarks, but I remain unconvinced. Don't misunderstand =
me, I'm enjoying myself with the (no longer that new) notation. It's =
just that it does seem unnecessarily cumbersome. You say you start =
getting into the piece the third or fourth time through, which is also =
the case with me. It's just that staff notation enables one to see =
straight away what's going on (even if there is the odd exception) and =
in essence I still don't see the essential difference between guitar and =
lute, i.e. why it's fine to use staff notation for the guitar, but not =
for the lute when both work in much the same way.=20

  I suppose it's just an academic question, and I wouldn't dream of =
question what someone else has called the 'collected wisdom' of the lute =
list. But it does seem a point worth discussing, and so far I've not =
read anything that convinces me of the innate superiority of tablature. =
But that's how it goes, I'm not complaining, just asking. Cheers, and =
thanks once again

  Tom