Aren't names wonderful, one can be whoever one says one is. And that
particularly in the earlier eras when the name was a part of the location or
occupation. Personnally, being of Scot's origin (despite the Irish name) I
would choose Black John (Ian Dhu), but only because as a kid I always wanted
to be a villain.

Enough, names are rather variegated, coming from the different spellings and
the different histories. The icelandic twins, Sigrid and Ingrid, offspring
of Sven would be Svenson and Svensdottir respectively.

But I do question Stewart's use of football fans in the UK, despite the
names of the teams I don't think "united" could ever refer to any of them,
or their fans. It is easier here in the US, all one need remember is that
the Boston Red Sox fans hate the New York Yankees fans because of a trade
and a jinx from the '20s. (And that the Atlanta Braves were the Milwaukee
Braves before the Boston Braves moved to Wisconsin - and that no Los Angeles
Dodgers fan has the slightest idea where the team nick-name came from - the
Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers were ducking those electric trams before LA had
anything but horses. ) But those are minor details.

I guess I have to make a point to preserve my reputation as pontificator,
but I can't think of one. Oh well, let us hope that we are United in the
sounds of the music, whether HIP or just a reasonable facsimile. What is in
a name, other than spelling, I could sign "Spud Murphy", as when I was
crippled with polio in the late forties I wanted to have a "tough guy"
nickname - so invented my own from the comic strips. (For the Europeans,
Spud a name for an Irish potato).

But better I sign as myself, a newcomer to playing the lute, but a long term
lover of the early music (and I've sung many of the pieces and understand
the sound). So I'll not be Ian Dhu, nor Spud, I'll just be

Best, Jon