Dear All,

I think Roman's suggestion does make sense - Stephen Barber, who
has detailed first hand knowledge of the Dias instrument has
shown that its present soundboard dates from the early 18th century
which is unequivocal proof of significant work being carried out to the
instrument long after the Renaissance vihuela had been forgotten.
The only reason for working on the instrument at that time
would surely have been for use as a contemporary instrument.
There are instances of pegs being added to instruments in this way -
the c.1550 Magno Dieffopruchar 6 course lute has an extra hole
drilled in its pegbox which does not belong to its working life
as a lute.

I visited Stephen & Sandi's workshop recently and played their copies
of the "Chambure" vihuela which have a lovely sound and are
visually very beautiful. One of their new slightly scaled down
versions of the instrument was being built, which looked very promising.
There is a lot of interesting information of great relevance to this
discussion on their website for anyone that's interested.

Best wishes,

Denys