Dear Monica,

I assume the book in question is Tyler and Sparks
discussion of the mandoline; unfortunately I have not
had the opportunity to read it. However, if previous
works by Tyler could serve as a reference, I would
indeed be careful about what is stated there.

Regarding the vihuela-guitar question, I have gathered
from the discusion here that little is known about
this rather polemic issue, and indeed there is much
that could and should be said but, instead of
burdening the readers on the list, I would refer those
interested to the article I have already mentioned on
previous communications:

"The Vihuela and the Guitar in Sixteenth-Century
Spain: a critical appraisal of some of the existing
evidence", The Lute, vol. XXX, 1990, pp 3-24.

With my best regards,
Yours,
Antonio

 --- Monica Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>