Tony,

> One of the reasons I have read (can't remember where) for the triumph of
the
> violin family over the gambas is that the tuning in fifths is more
suitable
> for melody whereas the fourths basis is more suitable for chords.  I am
not
> sure I understood why, but I am sure it was written by someone who did ;-)

I have no idea either why the fifths would be more suitable for melody in
general, but one can point out that the step to the next string comes at a
natural point in the key. If I'm playing a triad in the tonic a fifth tuning
lets me play an open string, then on stop, then the next open. Not having
played violin since 1948 (when I was last chair, last stand, in the Summit
High School Orchestra) I can't do more than guess. As to the choice, there
are no chords on the violin other than the occassional diad. The move might
have had to do with the unfretted nature of the instrument, and the easier
range of fingering due to the shorter vibrating length (which wouldn't
explain the viola, violoncello, or bass - but they could have been
followers).

> The provenance (ancestor?) of the lute may well have been a melody
> instrument played with a plectrum, but that in itself doesn't explain the
> tuning.  The oud is still basically tuned in fourths and is still
basically
> a melody instrument.

Yup, it don't. But it is a good matter for speculation. Is the arabic oud,
ancestor of the lute we believe, tuned to a tetrachord, or was it tuned for
ease of fingering. Any answer would be speculation, I look forward to
visiting Roger's site that RT offered.

Best, Jon