Dear All,

I have been looking at the first Prelude in Attaingnant's 1529
collection of solo lute music. The piece also appears in the Siena
Lute Book, ff. 17r-17v. Does anyone know of any other concordance?

There are a few insignificant differences between the two sources
like notes on the wrong line, where the two sources can be used to
correct each other's mistakes. One can use one's common sense with
regard to parallel fifths to correct a couple of dodgy notes. Apart
from these little things there are some major differences, where
Attaingnant apparently misses out great chunks of music. One of
these chunks contains a sudden weird, and apparently unnecessary
modulation to D major, and one wonders if it really should be there.
Did Attaingnant deliberately leave out bars which seemed to him
corrupt, or was it the Siena scribe, who accidentally added these
extra bars, and they were never in Attaingnant's exemplar? Is the
Siena version entirely plausible? It's all rather puzzling really.

It is a jolly nice piece, not too hard to play, and sounds
particularly lovely on my bass lute. If anyone can tell me more
about this piece, I would be very grateful.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.