Dear Martin,

This is the $64,000 question, isn't it. Rolling a chord means that
each of the notes sounds at a slightly different time. Only one note
of a rolled chord can be exactly in time, so which note should it
be? The first, the last, or one of the middle notes?

The Lachrimae version I usually play is the one from the Pickeringe
Lute Book (f. 16v), which starts with a 4-note chord. It is easy
enough to establish a nice, steady rhythm:

 |\   |\ |\    |\    |\
 |    |\ |\    |\    |
 |    |  |\    |     |
_a___________________d_____
_a_______d_b_|_a_____a___|_
_b_______a___|_b__d______|_
______c______|___________|_
_____________|___________|_
_a___________|_a_________|_

Margaret Board's version (f. 11v), on the other hand, is quite
different. Not only does it start with a full 6-note chord, but it
also has a couple of ornaments on b3:

   |\   |\ |\      |\     |\
   |    |\ |\      |\     |
   |    |  |\      |      |
___a____________________x.d_____
___a_______d_.b_|__a______a___|_
_x.b_______a__._|_.b__d_______|_
___c___ c_______|_____._______|_
___c____________|_____________|_
___a____________|__a__________|_

I think the first chord should probably be played like this:

___________a________
_________a__________
_____a_______b_a_b__
_______c____________
___c________________
_a__________________

That's a total of nine separate notes. It is impossible to know from
that great splurgle where the beat is. It is just a big flourish to
attract attention, and get the piece off to a grand start. In the
Pickeringe version the tempo is set with the 2nd event (c4); in the
Board version we can have no clear idea of the tempo until the 3rd
event (d2+a3). In practice I imagine a player would start counting
from the last b3 of the first chord.

A pavan is a dance, and so should be played in strict (foot-tapping)
time. Of course one takes a breath between sections, but I think it
is worth noting that apart from a 6-note chord in bar 5, which seems
to balance the opening flourish, there are no more chords in the
Board setting, which need to be rolled. Apart from those two chords
at the beginning, there are no chords with more than four notes.

Where the beat falls in a rolled chord is, I think, determined by
the nature of the music, i.e. whether accompanying (a singer and/or
other instruments), playing in a group of lutes (duets, trios, etc)
or playing a lute solo.

1) Accompanying a singer or other instrument

Unless it is some kind of opening flourish, which is like giving the
singer his note - e.g. the first chord of Dowland's "Come again" -
the first note sounded (the lowest in pitch) must be on the beat.
The bass is the most important of the lowest parts, and that's what
we must hear first. If a chord is rolled, the notes above the bass
should sound after the beat.

2) Playing with other lutes

Don't roll. One's instinct is to roll a chord so that the melody
note on the highest string is sounded on the beat. That means that
the bass comes in early. If you do that in a lute ensemble, the
other players will hear you come in early, adjust their timing to
fit in with you, and the music gets faster and faster. By and large,
rolled chords in a lute ensemble are a mess.

3) Playing solos

Here there is likely to be more flexibility with regard to time. A
few rolled chords can be effective, which is why we sometimes see 5-
and 6-note chords filling out a 3- or 4-voice texture. So which note
comes on the beat? I would answer, the first and the last. The first
note (the lowest) should sound in time after the previous event. The
rolling takes time, of course, but it is extra time - a pause, for
want of a word. The event following the rolled chord is timed from
the last note (the highest). Let me clarify this with an example
from the Pickeringe version of Lachrimae (last stave of f. 16v):

 |\ |\            |\ |\  |\
 |\ |\            |\ |\  |\
 |  |\            |. |\  |\
 |  |             |  |\  |
__________________a________________
_f__e_c_e_f___e_|_a__d_b_a_______|_
____________d___|_c________d_c_a_|_
_e______________|_c______________|_
_c______________|_c______________|_
________________|_a______________|_

The G major chord has to start sounding after the last e2 of the
first bar. We hear a6 played in time after that e2. While the G
major chord is rolled, Time Stands Still (as Dowland might say).
When a1 has been sounded, the clock starts ticking again, and the
next event (d2) is played in time, counting from the previous a1.
The effect will be like this:

 |\ |\                 |\ |\  |\
 |\ |\                 |\ |\  |\
 |  |\                 |. |\  |\
 |  |            pause |  |\  |
_______________________a________________
_f__e_c_e_f___e_|_____a___d_b_a_______|_
____________d___|___c___________d_c_a_|_
_e______________|____c________________|_
_c______________|__c__________________|_
________________|_a___________________|_

The rolling of the G major chord may look squiffy, but I've notated
the six notes in the order they should be plucked, i.e. with the
right-hand index finger plucking c3 and then c4. I did the same
thing for the first chord of the Board version of Lachrimae.

Conclusion

1) If you feel you really must roll a chord while accompanying, make
sure the bass note is on the beat;

2) If you play with other lutes, don't roll anything;

3) If you play a solo, roll big chords only, and give them extra
time.

No doubt there are countless exceptions, because music is rarely
that simple. However, I hope these various guide-lines make some
sort of sense.

All the best,

Stewart.