> example of the opening chord of Lachrimae.  Your point is well taken, that
> both the bass and treble notes are to be on the beat.  Some people play
> the
> bass note on the beat, & follow with the other notes.

I like to play the first g-minor chord non-broken, and the second g-minor
chord with the same fingering very much broken. It gives a clean and clear
start to the melody and provides the 'luty-broken-chord' warmth later on.
But then again, there's more ways then one, for me too.

> I have found that in
> ensemble playing, it is usually best to finish the chord (i.e. the treble
> note on the beat, so the arpeggiated chord starts early to land on the
> beat.

I have the complete opposite experience. Especially in ensemble playing I
think it is important to be together on the bass note on the beat. How much
you break - or roll - after that is up to you, but to give precision in beat
is a bass job. I'm sure there are many exceptions in my playing too, but
this is what I strive at. Interesting to hear such an opposite point of view
of what I think is an essential ensemble/continuo truth. Whenever I play
like you describe, I am immediately asked to change my 'luty ways' and get
in line with 'common sense' music practise. I think the people who ask
(organ/cembalo players as a rule) are right.

David