"Edward Martin" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> "usual" practice at the time.  If one tries to do this on a baroque lute
> strung conventionally as we string them in our modern times, the results
> are a harsh, brittle sound, because playing way back on the bridge, gives
> us entirely too much tension.

I have an average of  2,5 to 3 N (too much?) _and_ a very low action. I
try to strike the courses like you would be nervously tapping your
fingertips on a table. The angle of my fingers toward the course is
something like 45°. That's how I feel comfortable, and I'm rather
content wiht the resulting sound which resembles, say, a virginal.
--
Best wishes,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/
Germany, T/F +49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , [EMAIL PROTECTED]