Well said David,

Leonard makes a point, and a good one. The consitancy of an unstopped string
is less important than in a stopped string. But you are right, it is still
important. A we all know the string vibrates in a complex pattern and the
subdivisions of the vibration make the overtones that produce the tonality.
In fact that very thing is what makes the differences in timbre and tonality
of wind instruments. The suppression or expansion of the upper tones in the
natural series make an oboe sound differently than a clarinet (and don't
pick on me for the double reed versus the single, I don't have time to
detail the differences). There are similar effects in the horns/trumpets in
the shaping of the vibrating tunnel.

Back to the unstopped and stopped strings. The harp and the rest of its
family want consitant strings, as a part of the vibrating string will change
the natural overtone series if it is denser. Assume the string is plucked
near the middle (as it usually is). The primary node will be the tuned pitch
as it is an average, but the secondary nodes will set a different, and
perhaps conflicting, series. But with stopped strings the effect is greater.
The location of the "thick point" changes at its location in the effective
vibrating length (and even may be taken out of play if it is between the
fret and the nut). This can change not only the overtone series but also the
pitch relationships. The lute string, or any other stopped string, has the
characteristics of only that segment between the stop and the bridge. So if
the full string has been tuned to a pitch based on the average density (as
it will be if tuned open) then there will be a variance when it is stopped
high, if it is inconsistant. On the harp this may effect tone and the
harmonic relations between strings, but on the lute it may affect pitch.

And for the non harpists, the overtones are important to us, there a number
of strings and some vibrate sympathetically whether you want it or not. And
as a player of the double strung the effect is magnified.

But I believe Leonard is correct in his implication, there is less need for
uniformity in strings on an unstopped instrument.

Best, Jon

(PS, when no one could make a consistant string did music stop?)