>>> The art
>>> of wire-drawing does not appear to have been known until the 14th
>>> century,
>>> and it was not introduced into England before the second half of the
>>> 17th

This may be true, but that doesn't say anything about Ireland, and even
if there is documentation about how and when it all happened in
England, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen somewhere else,
possibly using different techniques. Plus, if Ireland, or anywhere else
for that matter, was primarily an oral culture, and/or the operation
was considered sacred or secret or reserved for any reason (or
unimportant or common knowledge), that could explain why no
documentation has been found.  Anyway, besides a certain anglo-centric
point of view, the key point in this passage, for me, is "does not
appear", which is a much more concise way of saying what I've just
said...