Do you have a teacher? What does s/he say about it? If you just got
the lute, it could have been just an anomaly or it may be that your
lute is strung improperly. You do not want to have the wrong tension
on there. If you are brand new to the lute, coming from classical
guitar, you need to be aware that the tension of an individual string
is less than that of the guitar. Who set the lute stringing up? Did
you get it directly from the maker? Does the maker specialize in
lutes? Did it break at the nut, bridge or somewhere else? Where it
broke could indicate some rough or sharp spot.

Nice pegs are a joy. I had a bit of a revelation the other day when I
changed 'round the position of my Nylguts on my tiny A lute. The
strings are long enough to almost get two strings out of them. I had
wound up the unused part on the peg. When I reversed the string I
didn't need to wind up the part that had been played on for months.
This made the tuner pegs work much smoother. I don't know why. It
wasn't rubbing on anything before. Anyway, this is a J. Rollins lute
and I wrote and asked him how he made such smooth tuners. He just
said do it right, or something to that effect. I don't know what his
secret is, but I appreciate it.

Some peg dope might help the tuners. If this is a used instrument,
perhaps the pegs need to be re-turned? The makers here could advise
you better.

cheers,

--
Ed Durbrow