Dear Paolo,

No doubt people at the time of the Renaissance did all sorts of
silly things, but there's no reason why we should copy everything
they did. Making mistakes is not normally worthy of imitation.

Relying on one's ears or one's memory no doubt accounts for many of
the errors which found their way into copies of music in the past.
You have only to read what Thomas Morley and John Dowland wrote
about imperfect copies, to understand the frustration musicians
experienced long ago, while working with bad copies. Look at the
marginalia of Sir Nicholas Lestrange in his viol manuscripts to
appreciate his desperate attempt at salvaging something approaching
a reliable text.

Listening to records to learn music may have some merit. One learns
to listen attentively. I did it myself over 30 years ago, listening
to records of banjo music slowed down to sound like five-string
double basses. It was a painstaking time-consuming process, but I
had no choice, because I couldn't get hold of the written music. I
think I would have become a better player, if I'd spent all that
time practising, instead of crouching over a record player or tape
recorder. If the music is available in print, why not use it?

Best wishes,

Stewart.