From: Fossum, Arthur
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 8:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Renaissance America - a little more lute related, maybe

-----Original Message-----
From: Caroline Usher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:42 PM
In Briceno's method for Spanish guitar there are numerous passacalles
with lyrics !!? published 1626. I am not sure if this is important (my
Spanish is terrible, and my favorite translator is not available) After
listing 12 passacalles(different progressions) he writes "Estos son las
Pasacalles contenidos en la Guitarra con ellos se cantaran toda suerte
de tonos Espanoles y Franceses graves y agudos"

So passacalles in France and Spain in early 17th century. Was it dance
first like the Allemande then stylized movement

I am pretty sure I have another source... which I am currently looking
for... from around the same time that lists passacalles as a 'Baile'...
but I have been wrong in the past :)

-Arthur

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>=20
>> How come "pas de passacalle" is in Feuillet's  Choregraphie from
1713?

Evidently by that time the French had created a dance for it, possibly
an=
 outgrowth of its use in stage and/or chamber music:

"In France the Hispanic-Italian passacaglia, like the chaconne, was=
 transformed during the mid-17th century into a distinctive native
genre,=
 although before that the genre had already had some impact as an
exotic=
 Spanish import. A passacalle(in the earlier sense of ritornello) occurs
in=
 an air to a Spanish text by De Bailly (1614), and in 1623 the Spanish=
 expatriate Luis de Bri=E7e=F1o published in Paris a guitar method that=
 included in chord tablature brief chaconnes and passacaglias similar to
the=
 early Italian examples

-SNIP -