I'll try again, as I'm yet trying to string that "charandora". I am looking
for opinions. I repeat, the O.W. (Aquila) string calculator recommends
tensions in Newtons that vary for the same pitch depending on the VL. (This
already takes into effect the guage, as that is the resultant. I've noted
before that my 63.5 lute is happy with about 35 N on the chanterelle
(disregarding the pitch, other factors there) - whereas the 36 instrument
I'm working with is recommended to be 27N.

I think I've got a part of the point, the narrower distance between frets on
the shorter instrument makes a higher "local" tension - but the real thing
seems to be the musical sound, and it seems that a lighter guage and a lower
tension makes a better sound on a shorter instrument, whereas the same
tension (with appropriate guage for the pitch) would be below the musical
level for a longer instrument. Any facts, or empirical observations, will be
welcome. I will test it, but may have to make a resonant test board to do it
(my board is solid Home Depot wood and was meant to test breaking pitches,
not musicality of the string.

Best, Jon