but what do you wish then? short, percussion-like, marimba-like bass? that's
pretty
easy to have. longer basses are sweet--look how much sweeter a baroque lute
sounds compared to the renaissance lute. or how sweeter a 65 cm lute sounds
compared to the 59 cm one.
about starting to mention wound basses:
In the same time, who said the bass have to be wound? Long gut or artificial gut
is what anyone would preffer. No need to reflect on the funny tember wound
strings.
They sound good enough on a short v-lenght renaissance lute or on student lute
for
lenght of vibration, but that's for learning purposes.
about the "grand piano" with sustain pedal pressed sound:
hehe, play your lute softly. there are places when the bass
should be expressive, but that's not Always (as you may know:)
So, no one is arguing "gut or wound". You started to talk about wound.
I've never heard about archilute with wound basses (forgive my ignorance if
it is a common practice). If such thing exists, then, man, you will have a
"grand piano" sound!!lol