Would have been better to have looked up the dictionary earlier.
"He had been in service of the cathedral of the city before." Don't know if
dome is also possible in English.

Markus

As far as I can see in the booklet of the recording of Zamboni suites by
Luciano Contini, the biographical dates of Zamboni seem  to be very unsure.
The only thing that is known is that He was from 1707 to 1713 contra bass
player in Rome after being in service of the Dome in the city.
The print of the suites is from 1718, "what has been overlooked for a long time
in the bibliographies" (Dinko Fabris in the booklet).

Best
Markus