I prefer some degree of spacing, otherwise notes crossing strings in
a phrase can appear to be stacked rather than linear.  I currently use both
Wayne's TAB and Christoph Dalitz's abctab2ps on my Mac.  They are not all
GUI and user friendly, but they offer variable horizontal spacing:  TAB by
putting as many or as few notes on a line as you choose; and abctab2ps by
several methods, including a variable scale which is very useful.

Leonard Williams