Hello lutenetters,
Last week I got new basses from Mimmo for my baroque lute: it is gut ,
copper wound I think the official name is demi-filé and very flexible.
Of course I still have to tune a lot these days, but I like the sound
very much, a bit sustain but not too much. Luckily the holes at the
bridge were big enough, only one peg I had to enlarge a bit.
There are also some problems: as these new strings are much thicker than
the metal wound strings, they tend to buzz. My lute by Michael Lowe, has
a bass rider but from the C string (11the course) all strings go into
the peg box. I've seen other solutions, leading some of these basses to
the pegs outside the peg box, but then the nut has to be replaced and
also the strings going to the bass rider are an obstruction for this
solution.
Mimmo sent me 8 of those basses (6th to 13nd), but I still kept the
original metal and nylgut octave strings, I suppose it's better to
change this to gut too of course, but then the problem of buzzing will
increase.
The price of those new strings is not cheap, I payed 104 EURO plus
postage but I think it's worth that price.
Who can give me some more suggestions?