Greetings Michael et al.

Yes, I am familiar with Len's site...and the Tyler & Sparks text it is
referencing on the linked page...and am pretty comfortable with theories of
guitar evolution to boot.  I think Len's bullets are a little too general
and, while generally factual, often are selected to support his
anti-post-Torres guitar bias; e.g., "Fan bracing with 3-7 fans was used
since the 1750's in Spanish guitars; it was not invented by Torres" (an
obvious statement of the obvious) or "String lengths on Baroque and early
Spanish 6-string instruments were longer than a concert Ramirez" (assuming
Len has 66 cm in mind as a concert Ramirez: of course, scale length of
baroque-era guitars commonly exceeded 68 cm, but were highly variable,
often falling comfortably under 64 cm, and scale length of full-size,
pre-Torres guitars specifically built to carry six strings typically was a
scant ca. 60-64 cm).

Even being generous with Len's "mid 1770s" estimate of 6-string guitar
appearance in the absence of dedicated literature or extant instruments, we
are still falling a comfortable decade after 1765.  However, I think he may
have misstated "6-string guitars were around since the mid 1770s" and
intended to say "single-strung guitars..."  You'll have to forgive me...or
feel free to correct me; I am typing from my day-job office and removed
from formal print references.  It's all really moot, however, given the
point I was intending to address was that of silver-wound silk basses,
which we all agree certainly were in use at that time on a variety of
stringy things.

Best,
Eugene