Tim,

By now you know that I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and have made some on the
list think I'm a bit off base. But I agree with the comments on friction and
Delrin. Guitar tuning machines would be a good solution for the lute, and
shouldn't affect the sound. But I don't think I'll use them. I may not be
HIP, but I think I'd like to make good pegs that work. And the peg box will
be affected by the weather anyway, even if the Delrin isn't.

Smooth tuning is a combination of the pegs and the nut (the wound courses
may catch a bit). But as the only one here who is playing that "lute" from
Musikits (the flatback so denigrated, even though the cittern is flatbacked)
I'll add a point. My friend Jerry who designed it didn't know much about
pegged strings under tension. The flat back is almost impossible to tune as
it has a "peg board" instead of a "peg box". I've learned that in making
pegs, and tuning that beast (but it is yet probably the best way for a
beginner to decide if they want a real lute). With a single friction hole in
the peg board (@ 3/4" thick) the "grab" versus the easy tuning is a matter
of pulling the peg out a bit, tuning, then shoving it in - then trying to
see if you got it right, and likely doing it again. The peg box of the
traditional lute gives friction on both ends of the peg (and preferably a
bit more at the wide end to avoid peg breakage).

I suggest that there is no material that will give the "right amount of
grab" unless the peg box is made of the same material. The Delrin peg won't
swell with humidity, but the wooden peg box will. I am too new to this to
make a definitive opinon, but my initial reaction would be toward a similar
wood, and a careful tapering, for peg and peg box. And with that 3/4"
pegboard, and commercial ebony violin pegs, I know from "grab" and "slip".

Friction is necessary, and smooth friction is desirable. I hope my pegs will
be that. But I wouldn't use to totally different materials to gain that.
Delrin is great for saddles and nuts, but I'd question it for pegs. After
all, the lute would sound no different if you put guitar mechanisms on it.
That which is behind the nut stays there.

And what is wrong with a bit of a guess on tuning, it is our ears rather
than the exact frequencies recorded by the electronic tuner that hear the
sound. I use my tuner for my harp as I need to tune 52 strings, but I use
the tuning fork and my ears for the lute. Nothing is perfect, particularly
music.

Best, Jon