>My understanding of how an instrument is "bushed' is that a tapering
cylinder (essentially a peg without a key) is glued into the peg
holes and the excess (the parts that stick outside the peg box and
the parts that run between the cheeks inside the box) are cut off.
You then have discs glued into the peg holes.  Those are smoothed off
and the holes re-drilled and reamed.  It would be unnecessarily
difficult to try to fit discs into peg holes, especially since the
thickness of the cheeks can vary.

So one could, in theory, take any material that could be turned and
shaved to peg dimensions and use that as bushing material -- provided
that it could be securely glued.  If you wanted plastic bushings (and
I understand the explanations that have been offered of why one might
not want them), that is how you would do it.  Many plastics can be
stained, so you could even stain them to match the cheeks.

But why anyone would make the bushings red is beyond me.  The point
would be to make them invisible, so your instrument doesn't look like
a old car with mismatched fenders.

Tim