Dear Stephan,

I think some of us here might want to disagree with your last sentence:
the basic tuning of the Dm lute is f'-d'-a-f-d-A, so if (as you say) ET
was needed for this tuning, it would also be needed for Ren lute, since
the 2nd to 4th courses are tuned the same.  Using meantone temperaments
on Baroque lute is just as good (and just as problematic!) as using them
on Renaissance lute.

Best wishes,

Martin