Yes, regarding German continuo, perhaps the best informed modern discussion of
this is Tim Burris's PhD dissertation "Lute and Theorbo in Vocal music in 18th
Century Dresden:  A Performance Practice Study" available from UMI.  The below
is largely informed by that.

It is absolutely clear that the German therobo was in d-minor tuning.  Baron
makes this clear in the Untersuchung.  He says it is tuned in the "neue Lauten-
Stimmung", i.e., the accords nouveaux:  d-minor.  If this could be doubted,
there are other confirming statements.  On the same page, Baron writes that
this tuning is used because "it would make things too inconvenient if a
lutenist a to mentally switch to the old theorbo tuning whenever he played it
on that instrument."  So unless we can doubt that Baron was referring to the d-
minor lute when he says "lutenist", that the d-minor lute was tuned in d-
minor, and that it was the lute commonly used in Germany in this time, we must
accept that the German therobo was in d-minor.  Case closed.

(An important thing to note, however, is that the new German theorbo was not
used everywhere in Germanic lands, and that it existed side by side with the
old Italian tuning as well.  In Vienna, for instance, Conti was still playing
with Italian tuning.)

Baron is clear as to the tuning of his theorbo.  It is in d-minor, strung with
single basses, with fretted courses doubled (whether this was true of the top
course is unclear) with a top string of D.  In his "Essay on the Notational
System of the Lute and Theorbo" Baron writes:

"...the lute requires a chanterelle;  but on the theorbo, which begins a third
lower (calculatd from the first string, i.e. not on F but on D)... the
chanterelle is omitted because it would break due to the long mensure."

Furthermore, what Baron says speaks for Weiss too, since when Baron was
appointed to the court he was immediately granted leave to go buy a theorbo;
instead of having one made, he bought Weiss's theorbo from Weiss himself.  I
got this from the "New" New Grove's article on Baron.  This is current
scholarship.

And yet, although it is quite clear what was most commonly meant by a "German
theorbo", and that what Baron and Weiss played can be known, this instrument
was never a set genre like the Italian theorbo.  (Some)  German players simply
began adapting their Italian theorboes into d-minor after about 1720.  Since
Italian theorboes range from 75-100 cm., perhaps some smaller German theorboes
did exist with the top F?  Single or double strings?  They doubtless both
existed.  Although Baron makes clear what the norm was - at least or him and
Weiss - I'm sure if you showed up in Dresden for a gig in 1740 with any
variant of the above - or an Italian theorbo, or archlute - you wouldn't get
any funny looks.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Benjamin