Michael,

You mention Plum for pegs, I bit the bullet before starting my "from
scratch" lute and spent the money for David van Edwards CD course. He has a
rather good discussion of the various woods, and nicely adds the North
American available equivalents as well as he can assess them. He suggested
Plum as an alternative for ribs for the first timer, but we don't have much
Plum here. Cherry was his suggested N.A. substitute (and I'm using that). It
seems they are the same (Plumus s.p.p.) genera (is that the level, I always
forget the levels of taxonomy). Would cherry have the same characteristics
for pegs as the plum you are using?

Best, Jon