The Cherry available commercially in the states is "black cherry" and is quite
soft. Softer than most maples or walnut. It turns OK but tends to get a but
furry if the tools aren't sharp.

Craig

Craig R. Pierpont
Another Era Lutherie
www.anotherera.com

timothy motz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jon,
I think the species name is prunus, and it includes plum, cherry, and
apricot. However, the qualities of a wood can vary from region to
region and tree to tree. The cherry I have access to is a nice wood
to work with, but not particularly hard. I don't know if European
cherry or wild cherry is different. I'm used to mahogany that is
fairly soft, but my local hardwood dealer had some that was quite
hard.

BTW, I've been told by a cabinetmaker that the dark pockets and veins
you see in cherry contain arsenic, so wear a mask when turning it.

Tim