-----Original Message-----
From: "Mathias Rösel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 23, 2005 8:07 AM
To: Lutelist <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: LUTE-etymology

> ++In Western music, the emphasis is on harmonic development,

that has been so from, say, 1600 to 1900. Before that, emphasis was on
horizontal moves.

**I also count counterpoint in harmonic development. (No pun intended
yet.) Prior to 1600 and also after it Western music had lots of that.
Melodic development is very evident in Indain Ragas that typically
don't have many (if any) harmonic changes.

And 20th century witnessed the development of serial
music and its further branches in Europe and the Americas.

> but in Eastern music the emphasis is on melodic development.

with Eastern more specifically being what? Arabic? Iranian? Ucrainian?
Siberian? Chinese (in general)? Indonesian? Australian (Aboes)?
Japonese? To name just a few...

**Music of the Punjabi-, Hindi-, Sindhi-, and Urdu-speaking cultures.
It is really quite varied in several ways although harmony is not
one of them. I am not familiar with Aboes, Indonesian, etc.
You can go out of your gourd listening to sitar music :).

Regards,

Mathias