Thank you, everybody.  I have a fair amount to think about and digest.

I think I'll avoid the EMS student lutes; one person here voiced a very
strong objection to them, even though the EMS ebay feedback is
glowing.  The people buying them are, no doubt, like me: having heard few
good instruments in person and having played none, their opinions aren't
reliable.   Martin S. seemed dead set against the idea; granted,  and
although the Early Music Shop is a competitor of sorts I'll take his word
on the matter.  If worse comes to worse I'll try to build one; it can't be
harder than building a guitar.

I'll be on the lookout for a used lute in a few weeks.  (And will revisit
all the suggested sites again.)

I love Weiss already through transcriptions for guitar, and all but
chortled when I found a website with scans of his works in tablature, there
for the downloading.   I'll have to think about exactly what I want most to
play on lute.  The difference in tuning doesn't bother me; I got used to
the Russian 7-string tuning (DGBdgbd'), although reading in the higher
positions is a bit dicey.

If I have more questions I'll be sure to ask them.  Tx.

Tim B.