Leather is tanned and elastic and thus unsuitable for use as a membrane.
The *rwd* theory is not my pet but borrowed from E. Neubauer who is well
versed in Middle Persian (we are not talking Farsi here) and historic
Arabic; there are plenty of examples of the 'ain sound being hardly
distinguishable from the ghain in Arabic dialects and it seems that the
Middle Persian could have had an indifference towards the articulation of
the "r", as in German, where the rolled "r" was replaced by the French
laryngal. The word rwd is used in the sense of string even in Farsi, cf.
Tarab-rwd. Anyhow, I am not myself qualified to discuss linguistics, just as
you are not qualified to discuss organology: you cannot even tell apart a
lute from a skin-covered gourd with a stick up its ****. The old
Arabic-writing theorists, however, DID distinguish sharply between the true
lute, carvel built, short necked, thin wooden, assembled belly, gut or silk
strung; and the Tanbūr family (long necks etc), the rubāb (parchment
belly, carved body) and several other types. Only the former was called 'ūd
and this instrument might have been based upon Sassanian instruments
(probably called rwd or barbūt), but the crucial lute features, notably the
light weight bent-rib construction, the proportions and the glued-on bridge
are first described in Arabic sources and appear to have evolved, whether it
fits your belated chauvinist/imperialist concepts or not, during the
'ummayad period.
Didn't we go through all this before?
BTW: needless to say, ch'in in Chinese means a cither. The pipa and ruan are
designated foreign instruments in historic Chinese sources and were
introduced from Central Asia during the Han dynasty. Ancient China didn't
know even remotely lute-like instruments. Even the pipa (as seen in the
6-8th c. c.e. specimen kept in the Shosoin in Nara) was built extremely
sturdy and quite unlike real lutes.
Regards,
danyel