Yes, perhaps you are right here.  Although I am not aware of a contemporary
reference to the verb "flater" meaning "to strum". (Unless I've missed
something!)  As far as I know, the verb is synonymous with "pincer", "to
pluck".  In particular reference to Gallot, is there any music written by him
at all that actually includes strumming per se?  And in the "Pieces" to which
his instructions pertain?  I on't believe so.  Thus I think Lundgren's
translation of "flater" as "strumming" may be somewhat faulty.  Although
perhaps the essence of what you say, that Gallot is basically telling his
students not to overplay, is more to the mark.

Best,

Benjamin