>Also the LSA will be publishing an interview with Crawford in our
>Quarterly, as soon as Ed Durbrow finishes it.  Ed, did you discuss plectrum
>technique in the interview?

We did a bit. I can tell you he was using a nylon
G string from a guitar throughout the Medieval
seminar in Vancouver 2004. I don't think Crawford
would mind me giving away his trade secret as he
was happy to share that information. :-) He has
experimented with every conceivable plectrum
material and has found ostrich quills stripped of
the feathery part, and used on the THIN end, to
be the best for him. That kind of quill ends up
to be about the size and consistency of a G
string which is easier to acquire and doesn't
wear out as quickly. He has no problem to combine
the middle finger (and ring finger too?) with the
plectrum just as, say, Jimmy Page or another pick
guitarist would when playing quasi-acoustic style
on an electric.

Personally, I found the string-pick to have a
couple of great advantages. A flat pick has an
angle to it. If you want a certain tone, you have
to orient your hand at a precise angle to the
string. With an ROUND quill or string, you have
much more flexibility in your hand position yet
can maintain a consistency of tone. The other
advantage, of course, is that when you lose your
pick you can probably find a bit of string
somewhere.

BTW, thanks to the help of Bruno et Valérie,
Caroline Chamberlain, Guy Smith and Jason
Yoshida, the interview has been completely
transcribed and now is in the hands of James A
Stimson who has the Herculean task of editing it
for the Quarterly.

cheers,
--
Ed Durbrow