----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy Carlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Michael Thames" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "lute net"
<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: memorization

 >      ....  When Nigel North was here recently he played 3 concerts in the
San

> Francisco area.  At the one I was at there were 200-300 people and I
> recognized about 15 people from the "lute community".
>
> Nancy Carlin

Most of them were probably sitting in the back of the hall because, the way
these concerts are organized, the first twenty rows are reserved for season
ticket holders. So if I want to sit somewhere where I can actually hear the
lute, I have to buy a ticket to every concert offered by the sponsors.
Something most musicians I know could not afford to do. I do not attend lute
concerts with such large audiences unless the seating is first come first
seated. I refuse to pay $35 to $50 to watch someone, however famous and
gifted, play a lute I cannot hear. It seems to me that if lutenists are
going to play to such large audiences, we must seriously consider using some
kind of sound reinformancement. Anyway, Nancy, that's why I wasn't there.

                                All the Best,
                                Gary Digman

.